What do we mean by Infrastructure?
All the support structures, that is, services and facilities which facilitate the development of a country make the infrastructure. Infrastructure is the structure that makes up the base of any economy. Today, we will be learning the meaning and the types of infrastructure in any economy. Let’s start.
What is infrastructure?
Infrastructure refers to all those basic elements of economic and social areas that promote and support the production activity in the economy. Because of this, they are considered to be of utmost importance for the economic and social growth of a nation.
Infrastructure is also defined as the physical structure of those facilities and services through which goods and services are produced for the consumers. Infrastructure facilities include; power, transport, schools, hospitals, etc.
Types of Infrastructure
There are two types of infrastructure;
- Economic Infrastructure– It includes those basic aspects (areas) of an economic system that provide support to the process of economic development.
- Economic infrastructure includes; energy, transport, and communication.
- The economic infrastructure supports the economic system directly.
- Economic infrastructure enhances (improves) the quality of economic resources and therefore helps in increasing the efficiency of physical capital.
- Economic infrastructure, therefore, helps in promoting economic development.
- Social Infrastructure– It includes those basic aspects of an economic system that provide support to the process of social development.
- Social infrastructure includes; education, health, and housing.
- The social infrastructure supports the economic system indirectly.
- Social infrastructure enhances the quality of human resources and therefore helps in increasing the efficiency of human capital.
- Social infrastructure, therefore, helps promotes social development.
Both economic and social infrastructure constitutes the infrastructure of the economic development.
Read more about the state of infrastructure during the British rule in India.
Subscribe for free LearnWithAnjali.com for daily educational content.