Calculating Combined Arithmetic Mean
Combined arithmetic means involves the series as a whole. Calculating combined arithmetic mean is generally used when 2 or more series are involved. Let’s take a look.
Feel free to join our Facebook group.
The formula for Combined Arithmetic Mean
In case only 2 series are involved then the following formula is applied;
In case only 3 series are involved then the following formula is applied;
- 60 students of section A of Class XI, obtained 40 mean marks in statistics, 40 students of section B obtained 35 mean marks in statistics. Find out mean marks in Statistics for class XI as a whole.
N1 = 60, Arithmetic Mean 1 = 40
N2 = 40, Arithmetic Mean 2 = 35
Combined Mean = 40 x 60 + 35 x 40 / (60+40)
Combined Mean = 2400 + 1400 / 100
Combined Mean = 3800/100 = 38
2. The mean monthly salary paid to all employees in a certain company was Rs 600. The mean monthly salaries paid to male and female employees were Rs 620 and Rs 520 respectively. Find the percentage of male to female employees in the company.
Combined Mean = 600
Arithmetic Mean 1 = 620
Arithmetic Mean 2 = 520
N1 = Male Employees and N2 = Female Employees
Using the formula;
600 = 620 N1 + 520 N2/ (N1+N2)
600N1 + 600N2 = 620 N1 + 520 N2
80N2 = 20 N1
N1/N2 = 80/20 = 4/1
N1 : N2 = 4 : 1
Percentage of male employees = 4 / (4+1) x 100 = 80%
Percentage of female employees = 1 / (4+1) x 100 = 20%
- The mean monthly salary paid to 77 employees in a company was Rs78. The mean salary of 32 of them was Rs 45 and of the other 25 was Rs 82. What was the mean salary of the remaining?
(Answer – 125.8)
I hope it was helpful, you can refer to more posts related to the statistics.
- Individual Series Arithmetic Mean
- Discrete Series Arithmetic Mean
- Continuous Series Arithmetic Mean
- Inclusive and Exclusive Series – Arithmetic mean
- Introduction to the statistics.
- Functions and importance of statistics.
- Calculating Correct Arithmetic mean
Feel free to join our Facebook group and subscribe to this website to get daily educational content in your mailbox.
Disclosure: Some of the links on the website are ads, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through or make a purchase.