The Consumer Organizations
In India, there are about 500 consumer organizations that are working in the field of consumer protection. The most popular ones are the Consumer Guidance Society of India (CGSI), Citizen Action Group (CAG), etc.
Let’s learn more about it.
A quick note: Subscribe to our website to get answers to your questions.
Role of the consumer organizations like NGOs
The role or the functions of consumer organizations like NGOs are as follows:
- Bringing out brochures, journals, etc.
- Spreading consumer awareness.
- Collecting data from different products and testing them.
- Arranging seminars, conferences, etc for the purpose of focusing on the problems of the consumers.
- Encouraging consumers to boycott the goods of bad quality or harmful content.
- Filing suits or complaints on behalf of the consumers.
- Educating consumers to help themselves.
- Running voluntary complaint counters for consumer guidance and counseling.
- Educating women regarding consumerism.
- Motivating people to ask for the quality marks such as ISI, Agmark, Hallmark (BIS), etc.
The Rights of the consumers
The rights and remedies available to the consumers on filing complaint under CPA, 1986:
- Removal of defects from the goods.
- Replacement of the goods.
- Refund of the price paid.
- Compensation for the loss and injury suffered.
- Removal of deficiency in service.
- Discontinuance of the unfair trade practices.
- Stopping the sale of hazardous goods.
- To pay the adequate cost to the appropriate party.
- Withdrawal of hazardous goods from the market.
- To issue the correct advertisement to neutralize the effect of a misleading advertisement.
- Payment of the adequate cost to the aggrieved party.
- To pay any amount not less than 5% of the value of the defective goods to the consumer welfare funds or any other organization to be used.
You can read more topics related to business studies:
Feel free to join our Facebook group and subscribe to this website to get daily educational content in your mailbox.
Disclosure: Some of the links on the website are adds, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through or make a purchase. Please support so that I can continue writing great content for you.